Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hukilau

Well, our stay in Ohio was relatively short-lived. 10 days after we arrived, we heard about a temporary teaching position at BYU-Hawaii on the north shore of Oahu. We applied for it thinking it would be fun... and Brant was offered the position the next day! So, for the next six weeks, Brant will be teaching an introductory accounting class and we will be enjoying Hawaii :) Our apartment is one block away from Hukilau Beach which is absolutely gorgeous. So far, we've gone every day and have the sunburns to prove it. It still hasn't hit us completely that we are living in Hawaii, but we're loving life.

This is the view from the end of our street.

Hukilau Beach and our little Spencer!
Here's the story of the Hukilau and the song named after the beach.

Marcie and Spencer on the beach.
Brant and Spence in the waves. After this trip, Brant's back changed from white to a nice shade of red.
When we arrived at the airport, a faculty member picked us up and presented us both with these beautiful flower leis--handmade and the real kind, not the fake flower kind found everywhere on the mainland. As we drove back to Laie, we would see the ocean to our right and every time, I would ask "Wait...so that's the ocean?" It's pretty surreal.

The family and our flowers in front of our apartment!

This morning, we went to our first Hukilau! "Huki" means "to pull" and "lau" means "net with ti leaves." A boat drags a huge net across part of the ocean and then everyone helps pull it back in and you cook up the fish that you catch. It was a fun experience.

Here they are launching the boat. One guy (white shirt, top left of the boat) rowed against the tide to the far side of the bay.
Here's the group pulling in the part of the net lined with "ti" leaves. Apparently, the dark leaves serve to scare the fish into the middle part of the net so they can get caught in the net.
Marcie doing her part!
Brant helping pull in the nets (yes, that's him in the aloha shirt. It's sad, but true).
Kids picking the fish from the net. In all, I think we caught 40 or 50 fish this morning!
The guys said that in the old days, the fishermen would bite the head of the fish in order to kill them quicker...this guy was doing it just for show :)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

All I can say is WOW!!! What a whirlwind summer you've had (and are having)!! That's awesome! I'm looking forward to more of your Hawaii stories! Have fun!!

Kelley ♥ a bunch of apples said...

Oh my goodness you guys!! What an awesome adventure for sure. You are having the most awesomeist summer ever! Way to take the opportunity and go with it. I love all your posts, and your pictures from California and everywhere. And now Hawaii!
We miss ya!
Kelley

NJ said...

I just think this is incredibly cool for you! I LOVE Hawaii!!! I hope you just keeping soaking up that beautiful sun!

Spring said...

I don't even know where I learned it, but I remember this song:

Oh we're going,
to the Hukilau.
Huki, Huki, Huki, Huki, Huki, Hukilau,
Everybody,
Loves a Hukilau,
Huki, Huki Huki, Huki, Hukilau.
We'll throw our nets out into the sea,
And all the (something-something) come a swimming to me,
Oh we're going to the Hukilau,
Huki, Huki, Huki, Huki, Hukilau!

I remember doing hand motions, and whatever the words were, we made a little fish with our hands for the something-something part. Anyway, I think that's so cool you've done it. What an amazing adventure!

Christina G. said...

No WAY! I can't believe you are living in Hawaii!! We dream of going back everyday. It sounds like you are making the most of the experience! Have fun!!!

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home mom to my three crazy boys. I also love organizing, running, reading, and crafting a little bit here and there.